Sunday, November 25, 2007

So, with the engine and transmission built, I moved them out of the way, covering them with a sheet and wheeled the body into my shop. This will be a total rebuild. By the time I'm done, I will have degreased, media blasted or replaced every single part on this car.

Although the body needs rust repair in several spots, generally its in good shape. The previous owner gave it a very poor paint job, tho - one of those where you just put masking tape over the bare minimum and give it a quick spray w/o much prep work. So, I need to strip all the paint down to the bare metal and cut out the rusted sheet metal and weld in new panels. To do this, the car must be completely disassembled. Interior, suspension, everything off. The easiest way to do this is by putting the car up on a rotisserie. A rotisserie, just like the one you use on your BBQ, attaches to the front and rear of the car, suspending it in air allowing you to rotate the car freely.

So, after removing the interior of the car, I welded together a rotisserie for it. Once up on the rotisserie, it was easy to flip it over and remove all the brakes, suspension, steering et cetera. All that's left now is the bare chassis.

That was about where I got to by the end of the summer. A couple other things took up my free time over the summer that slowed things down (building a shed, helping Anna paint the house). Since then, I've repaired the rust on the chassis by cutting out the rusted parts and welding in parts cut from cars that were being stripped.

I have now moved the chassis out of my shop and have it bundled up for the winter. I've lined up a guy who is going to sandblast the chassis, but I'm not sure if I'll do that this winter as I need to be able to prime it immediately after stripping the paint, and I'm not sure if I want to do that in my shop in the winter. Its difficult to get good ventilation in my shop for painting - I can do the epoxy priming outside next spring/summer.

But, I have all the suspension/brakes/steering parts to refinish this winter. Lots of media blasting and painting that should keep me busy.

That's the update.

2 Comments:

At 2:37 AM, Anonymous herniated disc surgery Houston, TX said...

Interesting write up! Enjoyed reading your experience. Nice sharing. Keep posting.

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous spine surgery new jersey said...

Nice post. Thanks for sharing great insights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home